I highly recommend you try your hand at these too because they are so worth it. If you do accept the challenge of creating these masterpieces, please know that this took me almost 2 hours. I know, that's a long time just to make 20 cupcakes, but the whole process with take some time. Remember this when planning for this recipe. Also, put topping on COMPLETELY cool cupcakes, otherwise you will ruin all that whipping you just did. And only apply the topping when you are just about to serve it. Here's a few notes on the recipe:
- The mixture that you bring to a boil will take longer than you expect, but be patient.
- Cool this at room temperature. I know it take longer than popping it in the fridge for a little bit, but the fridge with cause it to create a skin and that is not good.
- Watch them carefully, mine were done in exactly 15 minutes.
- Be patient when you are whipping the cream, it takes time. And please use a mixer; you might break your arm.
- To add a slight sweetness to the whipped cream, add about one teaspoon of sugar.
Mocha Cupcakes with Whipped Cream
2 Tbsp instant espresso coffee powder (or one pkg of Starbucks Via)
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 Tbsp honey (or really high quality maple syrup)
generous 3/4 cup water
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with 20 paper liners.
Place the coffee powder, butter, sugar, honey, and water in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Pour into a large heatproof bowl and let cool.
When the mixture has cooled, sift in the flour and cocoa. Placce the baking soda and milk in a bowl and stir to dissolve, then add to the mixture with the egg and beat together until smooth. Spoon the batter into the paper liners.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until well risen and springy to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
1 cup whipping cream
unsweetened cocoa for dusting
For the topping, place the cream in a bowl and whip until it holds its shape. Spoon heaping teaspoonfuls of cream on top of each cupcakes, then dust lightly with sifted cocoa. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Parragon Books Ltd.