Friday, August 31, 2012

On the Way



As I’m sitting in the car on the near ten-hour drive from Greensburg, PA to Warwick, RI, I can’t help but notice how green everything is out here.  Back in St. Joe, you would cut the bottom of your feet just by walking in your yard, that’s how dry the grass was this summer.  In the preparation for my graduation party at the end of June, we called Mosquito Squad to spray our lawn.  They sprayed the trees; apparently even mosquitoes won’t live in our dead yard.  Now I see that all the rain went east. 

Everything’s so different out here.  I can’t wait to get all my belongings unpacked, but a part of me wants to turn around and run back home, back to everything I’ve known for the past 18 years.  Change, whether good or bad, is always hard.  The transition period is by far the worst as it comes with a sense of uncertainty.  Personally, I like to know what to expect and I have no idea what to expect this fall.  Well besides a lot of homework.  I mean it is college, right?

Eventually, I will find my niche in this new world, but I will never forget my roots.  St. Joe isn’t just my hometown, it’s a part of who I am and I have a lot of people to thank for helping me achieve my childhood dreams.  Which brings me to my biggest fear: Letting everyone down.  What if I fail?  I doubt I fail but college is a lot harder than high school so who knows?  I just want to be somebody, I want to make something of myself and but St. Joe on the map.  I’ll just take it one day at a time. 

And eat lots of pastries along the way

No comments:

Post a Comment