Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Creme Brulee-ish

Sometimes we don't have words for thing we want to express.  Like a color that isn't either black or purple, so we call it purple-ish.  Or when we say we will be somewhere at a certain time but we know we will be late so we say 10:30-ish.  Today I used cream-ish to make Creme Brulee-ish.




I know that the pastry experts out there will shake their heads at me for even trying to come up with a lo-fat version of this delectable dessert but I simply didn't have the correct ingredients.  Or word.  So I'm stealing the name creme brulee and tacking it on to this yummy dessert type thing.  It's only an experiment anyways.  Have you ever come across a recipe for lot-fat creme brulee?  Didn't think so.  Maybe  I should rename this post to that...

Nahh, this is more fun.
Funner?
Fun-ish?

 More fun.



So I began like any good baker does, and scalded the cream.  Only I didn't have cream.  So I used about 1 1/4 cups of half and half and 1/4 cup of vitamin d milk.  Definitely not the same as some good quailty heavy cream.  But hey, we're a public school so give us a break.



The scalding happened but the mixture became very watery.  So I added my morning yogurt to it to thicken it up a bit.   But my mom, the kind lady that she is, gave me blueberries and raspberries in it as well.  Too bad I didn't realize this until after I had dumped the whole darn thing into the "cream."  So now we have watery blueberry raspberry creme brulee-ish. 



I did the water bath in the ramekins just like the real deal and everything!  And it actually turned out!! I mean the texture isn't quite the same creamy texture because the milk made it separate, but the flavor is really good.  So next time you want the luxury of this dessert without the calories, try this recipe.



Creme Brulee (ish)
makes 4 ramekins

3 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cups half and half
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
berries (optional)

Scald cream and yogurt in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Mix eggs yolks, sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl.
Gradually pour cream into the egg mixture.  Add in berries.  Pour into ramekins.
Place in a 9 x 13 pan with about 1/2 inch of water in it.  Bake at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Chill in refrdgerator over night.
Sprinkle brown sugar on top and broil in oven or with a torch.


Enjoy! (ish)


I definitely did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment