Saturday, February 11, 2012

Coffee-Break Muffins

What do you do when you can't leave your house because your snowed in and your boss told you that you don't have to come in today?  First, you watch the newest Pioneer Woman show, my new favorite show by the way, and then you make some muffins for your co-workers.  That you will see. Tomorrow.  Not today.


I found this recipe in Dorie Greenspan Book, Baking: From my home to yours.  I received this book as a gift from my mom last Christmas and this is the first recipe I've been able to try.  And let me tell you, I'm hooked.


The recipe I found was perfect, because tomorrow morning I had to be up early for work, and we could all use a little extra caffeine.


Coffee-Break Muffins
makes about 12 muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp instant espresso powder ( or 2 pkgs of Starbucks Via)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup strong coffee (cooled)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees.  Spray a muffin tin.  



In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. 


 Stir in the brown sugar, making certain there are no lumps. 



 In a large glass bowl, whisk the coffee, melted butter, egg, and vanilla until well combined. 


 Pour the mixture in the dry ingredients and stir to blend.    


Don't over mix the batter.


Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  


Cool on a wire rack.


Enjoy!

Recipe courtesy of Dorie Greenspan from her cookbook, Baking: From my home to yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment